Thursday, February 12, 2009

fool

I learned through my own experiences and my experiences with others that in the end, people will do what they choose to do, regardless of the endless advice being fed to them. I have given advice until my voice is coarse, only to repeat myself several days, weeks, months later, once again to no avail. But I'm not being bitter. I, too, have been in the same situation and understand the desire to make my own mistakes because I so desperately hope things will be different the second time around. Then there's the third, fourth, fifth and so on, time around when you fool me once, shame on you; you fool me twice, no one's going to try and help anymore. I am your friend. I will always be here for you to pick up the pieces. Is it so hard to understand that I'm trying to prevent the pieces from falling to begin with? It's so frustrating to see your most heartfelt advice fall on deaf ears. But like I said, I have been on the same boat. It's human nature, I suppose, to always want to see how things turn out for yourself. So that "maybe" and "what if" finally has a conclusion, regardless of whether it turns out the way everyone already said it would turn out or not.

So I have decided. Starting now, I'm not going to give advice that goes nowhere. I'll listen. I'll ask questions. But in the end, as always, it's up to you to decide what's right for you. No one wants an "I told you so" person (although it's extremely tempting sometimes). Don't make the same mistake twice. But, sighhh, I'll still be here for you when you do.

1 comment: